This copy of the Rental Contract is for review purposes only.
Please do not sign and send it without confirming your reservation with a Rental Agent first. Thank you!
1) CANCELLATION POLICY: Time is critical in vacation rentals, and your deposit will hold this home off the market for a period of time. If you cancel for any reason after we have confirmed your rental, your reservation will be terminated and we will attempt to re-rent the time. However, we will not be able to refund any part of your deposit unless the home is actually re-rented (and then minus the service fee and a 20% cancellation fee). The sooner you tell us you need to cancel, the more likely we will be able to re-rent, so do not delay once you make your decision. Your reservation can be reinstated up until 3pm on the day of arrival if we haven't been able to re-rent the property. We encourage you to obtain Travel Insurance to cover forfeited rental payments, airline tickets, etc., in case you have to cancel your rental.
2) YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR CHOICE. We strongly recommend that you, or someone who knows your requirements and taste, drive by your rental before booking. Rental homes are privately owned and all are different in terrain, level of finish, amenities and decor. We describe them in detail to the best of our ability, but we cannot make the decision for you and will not be responsible if you are not happy with your choice on arrival. If you then want to move to another rental, you must pay for the second rental. The rent from the first rental cannot be transferred and will not be refunded unless the first rental is re-rented to another party.
3) OWNERS SET SPECIFIC RULES regarding the maximum number of occupants, pets, smoking, etc. You hereby agree to follow the specific rules for your rental as indicated on page 1 of this contract. As the Owner’s Agent, we are required to enforce these rules and may terminate your rental and remove you and your guests when they are exceeded. If pets are not allowed, that includes pets belonging to your guests.
All gatherings and parties must be accurately described and approved in writing when your booking is made, or well before your arrival date. If you are planning a gathering, and permission for it is not noted on page 1, your gathering is not approved, and your rental will be subject to immediate termination without refund if/when we become aware of it.
Sub-letting is not allowed. No RV’s may be parked, or tents (including children’s tents) set up or occupied by anyone in your party or your guests without prior written permission. No ATV’s or dirt bikes may be ridden on the property or on association roads without prior written permission. Any state or local ordinances to the contrary notwithstanding, NO FIREWORKS may be set off and no firearms or other weapons may be used at any rental property at any time.
Any disturbance resulting in neighborhood complaints, police being called, any disruptive or illegal activities, damage to the property, or violation of this agreement or of any rules governing the property (whether Owners’, Krainin’s or the neighborhood/road association’s), will be considered sufficient cause for immediate termination of your stay, and if that happens, none of your rental fees will be refunded. This agreement does not create a tenancy for the property; you can be removed from the property without process of law if you do not depart at the appropriate time, either at the end of your booking or when so directed.
4) FOR-SALE COTTAGES: If this property is on the sales market at time of booking (please see page 1), you hereby agree to allow agents from Krainin Real Estate and other agencies to show it to prospective buyers at reasonable times with advance notice. If the property is sold and the new owner does not want to honor your rental, you may either choose a different cottage or receive a full (100%) refund.
5) HOUSEHOLD WATER: If the property has “lake water” (see page 1), you should bring your own drinking water or buy it locally. Lake water is suitable for washing and cooking, but not recommended for drinking, brushing teeth, etc., unless boiled first.
6) WE ARE ONLY THE OWNERS’ AGENTS. We are only rental agents for the owners we represent. Agency is not responsible for the condition, safety or adherence to code of the owners’ properties. If you notice a condition at your cottage that might present a health or safety risk, or if a maintenance problem develops at your cottage, you hereby agree to notify us immediately, so we can inform the Owners. Owners and Agent reserve the right to make repairs as necessary, and to enter the property with reasonable notice, or without notice in an emergency or if you cannot be reached.
7) THE OWNERS AND AGENT ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE for (a) loss, theft or damage to your belongings while at the rented property (and you may wish to check your homeowner’s policy, and/or arrange for travelers’ or renters’ insurance to cover them), or (b) Acts of God; water levels (submerged beaches, docks); power outages due to weather conditions or power company maintenance. Amenities that become damaged over the course of the summer may not always be repairable or replaceable within the time available; we cannot guarantee the condition or availability of any particular item, and Agency will not issue rent refunds for missing or damaged items. Additionally, we have no way of knowing about any exterior annoyances such as construction or logging nearby, boat noise, neighborhood disruptions, etc., before they happen. If you report them as soon as you become aware of them, we will try our best to resolve the issue, but we cannot offer refunds or move you to another cottage. And lastly, this is Maine, and Maine is mostly woods. Creatures live in the woods. Owners try to remove mice, squirrels, etc., before the season begins, but they are likely to return, especially as autumn begins. There are also ants, wasps and hornets, and occasional bats. We will try our best to remove them all as quickly as possible, but we cannot issue refunds or move you to another cottage.
8) SAFETY ISSUES AND INDEMNIFICATION: Safety issues are everywhere at vacation homes. Even the most ordinary-looking things (beaches, boats, floats, canoes and kayaks) can be dangerous for an untrained or inexperienced operator. PLEASE exercise care at your rental. Your safety is our biggest concern, so if you have questions about any of these items, ASK FIRST and do not use them until you are confident that you can do so safely!
If any amenities (including any beach or any type of boat, float, raft, deck, walkway, dock, mooring or other amenity) are available for your use, you take full responsibility and risk for their use. Neither the Owners nor their Agent make any representation as to the soundness or safety of any such amenities. If anyone in your party (or anyone at the property with your consent) uses any amenity, with or without Owners’ permission, that action shall be construed as a statement of that individual’s competence to handle or utilize it safely, and the Owners and their Agent shall be in no way legally accountable for any damages or injury to any persons or property resulting from such use. You agree to indemnify and hold Owners and Agent harmless against any and all loss, claim or damage (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and expenses) that may arise from your possession or use of the entire premises, including, without limitation, any such amenities (except claims against either party resulting from its own negligence).
9) PLAN FOR TELEPHONE, INTERNET & CABLE: Not all cottages have phones, but if they do, it will be either a Screen
Billing or a Long Distance Calling plan (please refer to cottage data). Maine has 7-digit calling, but not having
to dial ‘1’ first does not necessarily mean it’s a local call! Screen billing means you can receive incoming
calls and make outgoing local calls, but you can only make outgoing long-distance calls with a calling card, and
you can’t make collect calls, in or out. Feel free to bring an answering machine if you wish.
INTERNET: Many owners offer Internet access, some with Wifi. If the owner does not offer Internet, you will need a wireless card to avoid paying long distance charges for your internet access, because your own ISP may not offer a local dial-up number or an 800 number for this cottage location. If internet access is not provided, you’ll need a wireless card.
CABLE: If cable is provided, it may be only basic or limited service. If the cottage has broadband, and you want to watch Sports or Premium channels, we recommend you bring a laptop and stream your home subscriptions.
10) CHECK IN BEGINS AT 3 PM. YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO BE ON THE PREMISES OF YOUR RENTAL BEFORE 3 PM, AND NO MEMBER OF YOUR PARTY MAY GO TO THE RENTAL PROPERTY BEFORE 3 PM, EVEN TO DROP OFF BOATS OR LUGGAGE. FAILURE TO COMPLY MAY RESULT IN DEDUCTIONS FROM YOUR SECURITY DEPOSIT AND/OR THE OWNER DECIDING NOT TO PROVIDE DIRECT ACCESS TO KEYS ANYMORE. Please come to our Raymond office to pick up your Arrival Packet, consisting of Keys, Cottage Directions, Cottage-Specific information, and Vacation Information booklet with Emergency Numbers and important instructions. Brochures on local attractions, restaurants, etc., are also available at the office. Packets will be distributed between 3 pm and 5 pm. If you are delayed beyond 5pm, please call to let us know, 800-332-1806, so alternate arrangements can be made for you.
Remember to bring your own sheets and pillowcases, towels and bathmats, kitchen towels, toilet tissue, cleaning supplies, paper towels and plastic trash bags. Blankets and pillows are provided. If you are bringing pets (with prior written approval only!), please remember to keep them up-to-date with flea treatments before arrival. Also remember to bring beach chairs, life jackets, baby gates, etc. PLEASE DO NOT BRING FIREWOOD from out of state, it is illegal to do so. If the Owner provides firewood for your use in fireplace or fire pit, there will be a note to that effect. If not, please respect the instructions and do not burn owner’s personal firewood, or your security deposit may be charged. Camp firewood can be bought in many locations around the lake region.
11) CHECK OUT TIME IS 10 AM. NO-ONE IN YOUR PARTY SHOULD STILL BE AT THE PROPERTY AFTER 10 AM. It’s OK to bring the key to the office somewhat later than 10 am, if you need to pull your boat or want to go for breakfast before checking out, but everyone must be off the property no later than 10 am, or your security deposit may be charged. It’s difficult to coordinate cleaning and prepping so many properties over such a large geographic area as the Sebago Region, so we depend on your cooperation. Please plan ahead and be out on time. Thank you!! (If you depart on Friday night or early Saturday morning, it’s OK to leave the keys and your comment sheet in the white mailbox beside the Raymond office door.)
12) YOUR RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE PROPERTY: Please do not move furniture or any electronic or entertainment equipment unless you know exactly how to put it back, and be sure to put it back, in working order, before you leave. If you move things, and we have to send staff to assist the next party with connections, your security deposit will be charged. Do not, under any circumstances, break into owners’ locked closets or rooms, or break the locks on any equipment that is offered or not offered with the rental; call the Krainin office if you believe you need access to those areas or items.
In addition to taking responsibility for the house and its contents and outdoor amenities, you are also taking responsibility for any boats or other watercraft included with the rental, and their related equipment and toys. Theft from summer homes is very unusual in the Sebago Region, but if items disappear from the property or get damaged because you didn't secure them appropriately – for example, if you didn’t tie the canoe up properly and it wandered off and hit the rocks, sustaining damage – the owner will consider you responsible, and you are hereby agreeing to pay for repairs or replacement.
13) PROPERTY CONDITION AND SECURITY/DAMAGE DEPOSITS: You agree to leave the property in good condition: No damage to the buildings, contents, facilities or grounds or any property located on the premises, including without limitation at or around the waterfront and any dock areas; cottage neat and tidy; furniture and equipment in their original locations; dishes washed and put away; spills wiped up; pet waste buried; all inside waste receptacles emptied, and all trash handled according to instructions.
If you selected the $150 Peace of Mind Deposit and Waiver, the $50 non-refundable portion covers Accidental damage to a maximum of $1,500, including any damage to boats and water equipment, and you hereby agree to pay any amount above $1,500. Pet damage is not considered accidental, and additional security deposits may be required at properties allowing pets. The $100.00 refundable portion covers issues with Trash Disposal, Cleaning, Moved Furniture/Equipment, Late Departure, and Unreturned Linens and Keys, as discussed above.
If you selected the $400.00 Full Security Deposit (some owners may require more), it covers any kind of damage, and if any combination of damage costs exceeds the security deposit, you hereby agree to pay the additional amount. If there is a problem involving your security deposit, Agency will contact you within 30 days of departure regarding costs to resolve it. If there is no problem, deposits will be returned by mail 10 days after your Saturday check-out.
There is a Departure Checklist in your Vacation Guide that you can use to make sure you have all bases covered. Late check-out, keys never returned or left at the cottage without permission, Krainin linens not returned, trash left in the wrong place or left out at the wrong time, furniture or equipment having been moved around and not returned to their proper configuration, or cottage or grounds needing more-than-usual cleaning can create serious bottlenecks on Changeover Day, and are likely to delay incoming renters from timely access to their cottage. Therefore, if you cause a problem in one of these areas, your Security Deposit will be charged. The late check-out fee is $1/minute. Keys or linens left at the property, $50; failure to follow trash instructions, minimum of $60 plus mileage at 45 cents/mile – more if it takes staff longer to gather up the trash due to its being loose in the cans, messy or an unusually large quantity. Please be considerate of our staff and other renters, and follow the departure rules. Thank you!Rev. 10.24.16